Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Critically analyze magazine covers depicting the coronavirus pandemic
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Literacy in the Information Age (Translation) Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 122-140.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Review of "The Real Thing: Doing Philosophy with Media" by Christina Slade Communication Education ,p. 307-308. .
- Hobbs, R. and Frost, R...(2003,January). Measuring the Acquisition of Media Literacy Skills Reading Research Quarterly,330-354.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January).Classroom Strategies for Exploring Realism and Authenticity in Media Messages Reading Online,.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January). Media Literacy Skills: Interpreting Tragedy Social Education , 406-411.
- ..(2001,January).Improving Reading Comprehension by Using Media Literacy Activities Voices from the Middle ,44 - 50.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,).The Great Media Literacy Debates in 2001 Community Media Review,17-23.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,October).Literacy for the Information Age Classroom Leadership,4 – 6.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,).Research in Media Literacy Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy ,8 -11.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,February).Teaching the Humanities in a Media Age Educational Leadership, 56-62.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,January).Deciding What to Believe in an Age of Information Abundance ,11-27.
- Hobbs, R. & Frost, R...(1999,January).Instructional Practices in Media Literacy Education and Their Impact on Students' Learning New Jersey Journal of Communication,123-148.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,).People From Many Walks of Life Enrich The Media Literacy Movement The Journal of Media Literacy , 17-19.
- Hobbs, R...(1998,January).Teaching With and About Film and Television Journal of Management Development,9-29.