Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Media literacy instructional practices help police instructors use video to build critical thinking and communication skills
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Explore conspiracy theories using the power of digital annotation
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R., Jaszi, P. and Aufderheide, P..(2009,).How media literacy educators reclaimed copyright and fair use International Journal of Learning and Media,33 - 48.
- Hobbs, R..(2009,).Medienpädagogik in den Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika. (trans: Media Literacy Education in the United States) Merz,.
- Primack, B & Hobbs, R...(2009,).Which specific components of media literacy are most strongly associated with adolescent smoking? American Journal of Health Behavior,192 - 201.
- Hobbs, R...(2009,).Best Practices Help End Copyright Confusion Council Chronicle,12-13, 27.
- Culver, S.H...(2008,June).Media Education Lab End of Year Report Media Education Lab, Temple University..
- Hobbs, R...(2008,March).Copyright Confusion is Shortchanging our Students Education Week ,26, 29.
- Renee Hobbs ..(2008,).Media Literacy Entry in Encyclopedia International Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents and the Media,.
- Hobbs, R. and Rowe, J...(2008,).Creative Remixing and Digital Learning: Developing an Online Media Literacy Tool for Girls Digital literacy: Tools and methodologies for an information society,230 - 241.
- Hobbs, R...(2007,October).Approaches to Instruction and Teacher Education in Media Literacy Higher Education Research & Evaluation 1(China), 58-64.,.
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.